About Us

Thursday, October 30, 2008

What is a bigot?

The definition of a bigot according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
"a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

I was standing on the street corner today holding signs with other prop 8 supporters in an effort to raise awareness about prop 8. We stood peacefully with smiles on our faces appreciating the supporting honks of passers-by, and waving and smiling at those who were rude. As we were standing there exercising our God-given and fought-for right to voice our opinion, a girl walked by on the very edge of the sidewalk as far away from us as she could without walking in the street. She stalked angrily by muttering loudly with brow furrowed and spit flying words full of hate, "Bigots! You're all a bunch of bigots!" I wish I had a video camera so I could show her how much she resembled that liar we all know who is filled with hate. Anyway, I do not know who she was but I do not hate her. I do not hate homosexuals, I just know that homosexuality is not ordained of God but I do not hate them. They can do whatever they want, I just don't want them to ruin it for the rest of us.

I know that the sacred union of a man and a woman is essential for the welfare of our society and it is God's law. Prop 8 is not anti-homosexuals; it is not about hate or taking away anyone's rights. With prop 8 Homosexual couples will still be able to form civil unions, it just won't be called marriage. Prop 8 is about preserving something sacred, protecting churches' rights, preserving our rights as parents to teach our children about gay marriage or not and it is about preserving justice (in other words, not letting rogue judges overturn something that had already been passed). Most importantly it is about protecting the family--mother, father, children. I have been reflecting a lot about Christ and how he was able to hate the sin but love the sinner with a love we can hardly comprehend. He showed love to everyone without condoning sin and was and still is the ultimate example of love, justice and mercy. Maybe this is our lesson on true charity.

And a scripture reference or two to cap it off....

Moroni 7: 44-47

2 Nephi 15:20.


4 comments:

Life as a Greenstreet said...

Great job, Emilie! We're in Virgina but have been praying for your success in California! We're all so thankful there are people in this world not ashamed to be who they have been asked to be. And, hold up a sign in the streets to prove it.

Kori said...

I would have loved to see a picture of you standing on the street corner holding signs.

Janny said...

Wow that is insane. That shows how real the battle really is.

Marti said...

There's a good one word answer for when hypocrites yell rude things to you: "Likewise!" But it's probably best to just not say anything so nobody gets punched in the face.
I like the 2 Nephi scripture. True that!