About Us

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our Garden!



Most of you have probably heard more than you ever wanted to about our garden from my rantings on facebook or over the phone, but I am going to bore you with pictures anyway.

We are happy to report that almost everything we planted is thriving!

This was taken May 1 right after we planted:


And this was taken July 1:


A close-up of our "zucchini":
Home Depot could care less that I bought plants labeled zucchini only to harvest yellow crook-neck squash.  I am now a devoted Lowe's shopper.

We are waiting patiently (impatiently) for these babies to turn red.

Yellow crap-neck squash on the left and tomatoes on the right.

Blackberries and our resident gopher that we are trying to kill:

Another yellow crap-neck squash plant on the far left, random mint from previous gardeners, chard, and green bean plants on far right.  And then front and center are some cute little basil and cilantro seedlings that I have to guard with my life from Eliza. 

More green beans with lots of weeds that need to be pulled.
We have had several yummy batches of green beans so far.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Baby cucumber plants:

Red and green bell peppers and garlic on the far right (we planted them and they sprouted but we have no idea when or how to cultivate them.)

Our strawberries gave us teensy little berries that were devoured by birds...oh well.  And the oregano I planted never sprouted but I will try again. We love our garden!  It feels like we have a backyard and some land all our own to tend, there is something deeply satisfying about gardening.

7 comments:

The Eagar Boones said...

Yay! I am so jealous. I went out and pulled weeds yesterday in my garden and my plants just don't grow. We might get some green beans, cross your fingers!

Janny said...

Yay! I love your garden

Lu and Moo said...

That's odd about your oregano. I've pretty much had the same problem with cilantro, so I feel your pain.

Megan said...

Holy cow!! Your garden rocks!! I am way impressed!!! My favorite picture is the last one :)

jamila said...

Wow! Totally puts mine to shame. Pretty much everyone's does, but I will try to remind myself that I live in a different climate and use that to justify my very humble success. It looks great! P.S. I will be in your neck of the woods in mid-Oct; we should do lunch or something.

Kori said...

Your garden is way more awesome than ours and we do have a back yard! Have you tried grilling squash? It's really yummy.

Brianna Tuckett said...

Your garden does look awesome Em!!! :) I've heard that with strawberries (any berry really) that they don't always produce the first year, so don't be discouraged about them because that's pretty impressive that you got berries at all off of them. I planted bell peppers too, but they don't look near so good! I think they may have gotten froze at the beginning of the season. (Only in Idaho would your garden freeze in June!) Looks great and good luck with the rest of it! :)