About Us

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Whales(the lack thereof) and Craigslist

We’re back for installment number two in our blog… I imagine you all were very disappointed last week when you visited our blog (most likely several times) to see what was happening and found nothing new.

Emilee and I have both started back to school. I am in the second quarter of my first year, which means I have a set of new classes and a new lab rotation. This quarter I am learning about immunology and pharmacology. The lab I am working in studies principally Alzheimer’s Disease. It should be an interesting and challenging quarter. Emilee is even busier than me. She works every weekday morning for a couple of hours and then comes home to work on her count them… FIVE online classes. If you’ve ever taken an online class you’d know how challenging it would be to take five at once.

Lately, in our free time, we’ve been obsessed with going to the coast to try and spot a Gray Whale. They’re migrating past San Diego this time of year. As of yet we’ve been unsuccessful as you can see in this whale-less photo of the Pacific Ocean. But we have been able to see other sea mammals, including dolphins, sea lions, and seals. So when you all come to vist (wink, not so subtle hint) we can show you some cool animals outside of SeaWorld and the zoo.

The picture to the left is of the sea lions that are barking in the video at the end of the blog. They were all getting mad at this one sea lion and wouldn't let him up on the rock. A few months ago we saw a seal or maybe it was a sea lion out in the ocean and we thought it was sooooo cool then we discovered that in downtown La Jolla there are TONS of sea lions and seals that sit on the rocks right on the beach...we are discovering more and more cool things about this place.

Also Craigslist has become a new found friend. I don’t know if you’ve all discovered this but Craigslist has a Free section where people advertise things they are just giving away for FREE. Most of it is junk but every once in a while there will be something useful or nice. For example, last week a small business was moving its office and they were giving away their desks. They were really nice desks and so we decided to go get two, one for Emilee and I. The Craigslist ad said that all we needed to do was come pick them up. So we showed up and there they were under the business’ carport. We felt a little bit like burglars as we loaded up the desks and drove off chuckling without saying a word to anyone. Oh, the cheap thrills of poor newly-weds…



Just so you know, this video is of the Sea Lion colony in La Jolla going nuts at dusk...we know you can't see anything, but you sure can hear them bark.
Last week we went to Point Loma to look for whales, again no luck, but it was a nice, peaceful place. I enjoyed hearing from some of you last Saturday. I decided the best way to spend a day I don't want to remember is doing something fun and enjoyable, I really don't need a reason to be sad. Anyways, I hope everyone had a good day and did something good and fun.
My fun news is that I got a computer (not from Craigs List). I am writing this from my brand new laptop, it is pretty sweet. I got some grant money and with the extra i bought this laptop since all of my classes are online. It has been really nice. It gets really complicated doing all of my school work from the computer.
We love you all!! (Cody is green and Emilee is blue, by the way:)

7 comments:

John and Kori said...

We totally agree with your assessment of Craigslist. Although we're not starving students, as a young family on only one income, we're glad to find a great bargain here and there. And another thing, to see those whales, you might try using your x-ray specs that see through the murky ocean. Just a thought. Love, your favorite sister, her hubby, and your favorite nephew.

Unknown said...

Kori, How on earth did you know we had posted our blog. It was like you had commented before we had even finished posting it.

Leah said...

Yes, craigslist is great. We purchased about half our furnishings from there soon after we moved into our new house and saved lots of money. Freecycle.org tends to have good free stuff, too. Nice blog, by the way. :)

Jarom said...

I found a ride from Hollywood to AZ on craigslist.

What kind of laptop? Hopefully a nice problem-free, no virus, no spyware, and never bog down Apple laptop.

John and Kori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John and Kori said...

I have not life and I randomly check my families different blogs often to see if there's anything new. I just happened to see it before the pictures came up. - Kori

Anonymous said...

The seashore is beautiful! Thanks for inspiring me to blog! We certainly hope to visit you all someday in the next 5 years!