These last two weeks have been good. Cody and I have been very busy with school and work. I am sort of getting the hang of taking 5 classes online. If you'll notice the picture to the right. Here is how I find Emilee every evening when I come home. She is sitting glued (not willingly) to her computer screen. Also you'll notice that this picture is taken of the mirror in our spare/computer room. Emilee writes all her assignments on the mirror. It helps her keep track of all her classes... It is so much work. Some of them are set up very well and are very doable but a few are not. I have one that is all about nature and environmental issues; it drives me nuts. Unfortunately it is also the one that requires the most time and work. I find myself getting in heated arguments with my computer as I read his long, opinion-packed lectures. I often wonder what he wants all of us to do? According to him we should neither farm, nor own cattle which eat up all the grass and green stuff that birds and squirrels live in, nor use wood of any kind (only if it uproots itself and plops itself on your doorstep)… We are supposed to be hunter-gatherers, no wait, just gatherers, (hunting is completely immoral) roaming the earth eating berries and figs…blah blah blah. So anyways (any of you seen Nacho Libre), that is basically how I feel about that class. But I am seeing how important it is for us to understand our purpose on the earth and have the gospel to keep us grounded with an eternal perspective. My other classes are quite interesting and I like them much more. I have 2 English classes: Popular Literature and American Folklore. In pop lit we have read some Poe and parts of Frankenstein. And in Folklore we have been learning about what folkore is exactly. The instructor writes a succinct lecture and includes sound clips and movie clips. It is really well designed, so it is fun to go through the lectures. I also have an American Environmental History class which is quite interesting so far. It goes through history and focuses on the landscape and how it affected American history. I have learned a lot so far. And then I have a Spanish cultural history class—also very interesting. So I have a ton of reading to do and many papers to write, wahoo.
We are still looking for whales…still no spottings, it is sad but don't worry, we are getting through it. Here is a picture of our last outing in search of whales. We often go to a place called "Gliderport" near UCSD campus. On breezy days, paragliders fly along the cliffs overlooking the ocean. It is really cool to watch. When you come visit, because you are coming, we'll have to take you to watch it. If you have the $$ you can even go up with someone, but I warn you it isn't cheap. Nee
dless to say we haven't gone paragliding but it looks peacefully exhilirating.
Last weekend Cody's fellow misionero in Uruguay, who also happens to be a
Yuman, got married so we went to Yuma to visit Pops and go to the reception. I also got a brand-spankin-new license so now I am officially a good Diehl. (hahahha I will never tire of those jokes) So when we were in Yuma, Joe Layton came over because he and dad had business to do the next day. We stayed up real late watching a movie and they had to leave super early the next morning to make it to their appointment in El Centro...you know how we Ellsworths like to roll. Joe and Dad were walking out the door to get Joe's luggage or something and Joe asked Dad how on earth they were going to get up in time the next morning and Dad said, "we'll just do it" and Joe said, "well i think i can get up, do you have a big hammer i could hit your door to wake you up?" and Dad nodded and replied without missing a beat, "I'll get a big stick." Cody and I still laugh about it.
We have made several visits to Balboa Park so I could volunteer at the Museum of Man, it is a valuable opportunity for me. On MLK day they had a special event with crafts, performers and food. I helped for a few hours, it was great. Someday I really hope to work in a museum educating people, coordinating tours, and/or setting up exhibits…someday. For those of you who may not know Balboa park is a huge collection of museums near down town San Diego. The famous zoo is also part of the park. There are something like 20 museums in the park, it is pretty impressive. While Emilee was in the museum I decided to explore the park and take pictures while I did so. Here are a few of my favorites…
Don't forget that it's Emilee's birthday on Tuesday, it truly is "Super" Tuesday. We love and miss you all.
7 comments:
I just wanted it to be noted (by anyone who reads the comments in addition to the blog) that I have already been to visit Cody and Emilee - despite the fact that my presence at some of these events was never noted in the blogging. They make it sound like nobody loves them or something... I saw the paragliders (dad would love it I think), went on their first Point Loma whale watching excursion, saw a pod of dolphins, and went to Balboa part and heard a rough version of some of the information Emilee shares with the visitors at the Museum of Man (it sounded good to me but I'm sure she's getting much better with all the practice she's getting :-) So anyway, that's just a little pat on the back for me! ...and I recommend a visit.
I'm getting an endoscopy on Tuesday so it is triple Super Tuesday for me. Just thought I'd share.
Cody & Emilee,
Don't worry, we will come to see you some day. I know you'll be so excited to host all 5 of us! In our 6 years in Missouri, all of our family visited our home, excepting Cody, Jesse, and Randi. (Nauvoo was the big draw) In our 2.5 years in Georgia, we still haven't hosted any of Nathan's 4 sisters, or Cody! But we don't hold it against you! Georgia isn't such a great vacation destination compared to San Diego! We have a Mitt 08 sticker on our car.
Love,
Alyn
P.S. Does the Princess sleep on the guest bed?
Hi Cody and Emilee,
Oh, I loved the tree hugger comments from Emilee. Dad would like them too. I'm glad she's now a "real Diehl", a "big Diehl" a "good Diehl" etc. etc. you will hear those comments, but I agree it's a good thing. Yes, I will visit you in San Diego. I hope it won't be too long until we make it there. Just so you know, we do love you. Mom Diehl
Hey Cody,
I liked your pictures too. Love Mom
Hey Emilee,
I can relate to crazy online classes. I took the same folklore class from NAU. How funny. I thought it was pretty good as well. Not too time consuming. I took the final the day before I got married. Craziness. I like the mirror schedule! How much longer do you have left? Just knowing the end is in sight kept me driving my 10-12 hours per week.
Post a Comment