About Us

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

disaster.

10 am : mixed and baked cupcakes while Eliza laid between my feet crying....I still don't know why.
2 pm : realized I had to go to the dentist in an hour and had no idea how long it would take so I better make dinner and get everything ready to make the cupcake of cupcakes
3 pm : everything prepped for the assembly of said cupcake of cupcakes
4:30 pm :  returned from dentist and frosted cupcakes
5 pm : Eliza laid between my feet crying again while I stabbed the styrofoam with toothpicks and cupcakes, got frosting everywhere and ruined most of the cupcakes in the process...
5:20 pm : a few swear words escaped my lips as the cupcakes kept slipping off the toothpicks
5:22 pm : stabbed more toothpicks into the cupcakes
5:30 pm : touched up cupcakes and used a punctured ziploc bag full of pink frosting to draw hearts on the cupcakes
5:43 pm : realized frosting was escaping through another hole in the bag, covering my cupcakes with globs of pinkness...
5:45 pm : commenced operation salvage and tried to rescue the cupcakes
5:47 pm : more swearing as I pulled the cupcakes from the toothpicks and abandoned the cupcake of cupcakes
5:50 pm : top-heavy cupcake of cupcakes tumbles over and plops onto the stove....
5:51 pm : meltdown.  (this is reminding me of that movie Julie and Julia)
5:52 pm : canceled Eliza's birthday
5:53 pm : Cody gave me a hug and made everything all better.
Thankfully one cupcake survived so at least we had something for Eliza.
 
I wanted Eliza's birthday to be special and I wanted to make her a fabulous cake like all the other moms but my creative talent does not extend into the cake decorating realm AT ALL...

And I have decided that is ok. 

6 comments:

jjediehl said...

It seems that whenever I try to make something for a special occassion, or I am making food for someone else, things just flop. It must be an unwritten law of nature or something. Sorry, you had a rough time with those cupcakes. Your intentions were good. I don't think Eliza was disappointed. She's adorable, I'm glad you were able to salvage the Birthday. Love to all. Grandma

Erin said...

That whole cupcakes on toothpicks things sounds pretty hard! I hate when I feel like I worked so hard and things still don't work out. I still would have eaten them... they look tasty which is the real point if you ask me. Cute is a bonus but cut yourself some slack... that looked like a hard project to start with!

npk_techguy said...

I thought everyone knew you can't make a cupcake of cupcakes on Tuesday. Apparently you missed the memo. Besides this is Groundhog Day, he declared no cupcakes of cupcakes on this day.

No, I don't understand it either, just a rule of the universe.

So in the end it wasn't your fault. Martha Stewart couldn't have made a cupcake of cupcakes today.

Lisa said...

I'm no cake baker. Our kids get either cupcakes OR cake baked in a 9x13 on their birthday (store bought mix). Kate was beside herself when I bought those nasty sugar letters to put on her cake this year instead of just writing happy birthday with a different color of (ahem) store bought frosting. The wonder! The excitement! It's all they've ever known and they're not suffering. Pat yourself on the back because your talents lie elsewhere. Diversity is fabulous is it not?

ALYN said...

Now you know why Nathan keeps trying to convince me to stop making 3-d cakes. It sure gets stressful when the cake structure topples. And I've had that baggy squirting frosting out a new hole problem many times. I get it less with thicker baggies and thinner frosting.

I'm sorry it was so terrible, Emilee. I'm sure Eliza enjoyed her cupcake. If I lived nearby, I would babysit and make you a cake for your birthday on Friday!

Brianna Tuckett said...

Don't worry Emilee that kind of stuff happens to me ALL the time!! I saw this really cute craft on Carrie's blog so I tried it and it took me three tries and it's still not right! What can I say some people are just not meant to be crafty and I'm one of 'em :) (I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who swears when frustration sets in!) :)