About Us

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Wedding, Some Gueros, and Memorial Day Salsa

Memorial weekend was fun-packed for us. We drove to Arizona for my best friend Janny's wedding. Here is a picture of her and Brian coming out of the temple. The record-breaking cool weather and cloudy skies made for a beautiful day. Lucky!

This is of Kyra, Janny and I. Kyra is Janny's brother's wife. We were the 2 bride's maids (matrons, I guess).
A drive down memory lane!!! On our way through Tucson to our friends' house we drove through U of A. Ah the memories. I just love the UA campus! To Cody's left is the UA stadium and some UA banners. Go Wildcats!!!

Janny's reception was held in the church and it was beautiful! There were lights strung across the ceiling with tulle and bright, pretty flowers on the tables. They also had the best Mexican restaurant in town El Guero Canelo cater it. It was yummy to say the least. (El Guero Canelo is mine and Cody's restaurant...it became sentimental because we ate there so often while we were dating.)

Richard ate 12 tacos! Wow!Me, Desi, and Michelle. (We were all in 3rd ward together once upon a time.)

And this is Cody and I eating at El Guero Canelo or how we affectionately call it "Guero". mmmmmmm... Ok so here is the story: For one of our first dates Cody brought over some tacos from Guero and we watched Nacho Libre. Incidentally we held hands for the first time on this date (even though the movie was completely unromantic). Sparks flew between us, we were engaged 3 months later and we became attached to Guero tacos :) So on special dates, even when he proposed, delicious Guero tacos, burritos, caramelos or tortas were present. We even sat at the same table every time we ate there. Anyway that is the story of the love connection between us and El Guero Canelo. This is where it all began. :)
We stayed in Tucson until Monday morning and then drove to Yuma. Dad told us to go look at the field behind the house so we did and we were blown away by all of the artichoke plants in bloom. It was like something from another world.
Unintentionally we have started a tradition. For 3 Memorial days in a row (not including the ones where we were out of the country) Cody and I have gone to Yuma and had El Don Bryon's famous salsa. Yep you read that right--3 Memorial days. Before Cody and I served missions and before we even had crushes on each other we went on a trip to Six Flags with several other friends. On the way back we stayed in Yuma Sunday night and had yummy green chili and salsa and then spent Memorial day morning in Yuma. And then last year we came to Yuma on Memorial Day and stayed up late making mango and pineapple salsa. Now this year we had carne asada and more salsa. Oh sooo good. So now it is a tradition.
We also gave our trucks a good scrubbing.
We hope everyone else had a great Memorial Day weekend!

7 comments:

ALYN said...

Is the salsa a different sort every time?

Who planted all those artichokes? Will he eat them all?

What is that trailer? I thought it was the taco stand, but then you mentioned a table? I think we need more pictures of such an important location in your family history.

Next time I make it back to Tucson, I'll eat there. I've been there only twice since I left in 1997.

Unknown said...

The salsa has been different every time, but it has been ricisimo everytime.

The artichokes were not planted by Emilee's dad, they were planted by professional farmers in a field close to Emilee's dad's house. If he ate them all he'd be one sick puppy.

The trailer is out in front of the restaurant. The restaurant started back in 1993 as the little trailer, but now is a thriving establishment. It is my favorite restaurant in the whole wide world.

Unknown said...

I guess I failed to explain that the artichokes are not edible anymore because they have bloomed. Apparently they want them for seed. And they are in fact in the field directly behind my dad's house but they are not his. Yuma is full of crops all year long and we love to notice and appreciate the abundant agriculture that supplies the nation's demand for lettuce and other things.

The Eagar Boones said...

I am so glad that you guys live so close to Dad and can spend time with him. Wished we lived a little closer. Sounds like you guys had fun. I have never even heard of that restaurant, I guess we missed out the four years we were there. I don't remember there ever being artichokes before. They are kind of pretty.

Unknown said...

yeah so i guess artichokes are a thistle...hhhmmmm. interesting. Pat, care to fill us in on thistles?

Kori said...

I can say that El Guero Canelo is ricisimo tambien, we ate there after Cody's graduation from U of A. Thanks for playing cards with us Friday night, it was fun!!

Janny said...

I knew having El Guerro at the reception would sway Cody to come down for the weekend. My evil plan really worked. Thanks for coming down guys. Your the bestest friends ever.