
When we got back from Brasil and Uruaguay, I got a call from the Bishop and then a member of the stake presidency within about an hour. They were looking for Cody. I learned on my mission that your leaders never want to just chit-chat, they always call for a reason, so I knew something was up. That evening Cody was called to be in the bishopric and then sustained that Sunday...nice welcome home gift. My dad and Cody's parents came over to San Diego for the occasion and we had a good time together. (Dad just came over on Sunday.) So now I sit all alone in church...sniff, sniff.

For Labor Day weekend our great friends from Tucson came to visit. We had a blast. Oh, and I got a haircut...it was the worst experience of my life and I am not ready to talk about it. I'll just say that I am glad I still have
some hair and I am never getting my haircut again...by a man. Anyway, back to the fun weekend. All 7 of us stayed in our apt and I think it was comfortable for everyone. We made the terrible mistake of getting the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie (if I saw that in the theater I would have walked out and demanded a refund...I strongly disliked it, except for the cute little boy.) the week before and we were thinking that our bed is so big we could probably all sleep in our bed like Uncle Joe, Aunt Josephine, Uncle George and Aunt Georgina...just kidding.

We went kayaking and saw some sea lions (see
Janny's blog for pictures). We saw the tide pools (unfortunately the tide was really high so we only saw a bunch of crabs and anemones) and just enjoyed being together in the lovely weather of San Diego.

It was so much fun we were sad to see them go.

On Monday right before our friends left we went to downtown San Diego and then to Old Town and ate at this Mexican Cafe. A word about the Mexican food in California: terrible. We have been sorely disappointed almost every time, except La Salsa was decent and this other Cotixan place was good. It is so unfortunate. Maybe pregnancy makes me dramatic and exaggerative but the food at this cafe was not good. In the front windows there were Mexican ladies making tortillas and all those yummy looking tortillas makes your mouth water. I was so excited about eating there and then we order this carnitas plate...the meat was cold and hard, too salty and the dressings were flavorless. I liked the tortillas though so I took the extra tortilla home and put my own fajita meat in it and it was delicious. I don't know how carnitas are supposed to taste but I didn't like it and I made a stink about it... Anyway, we have yet to find some decent Mexican food. Maybe we are used to the Arizona/Sonoran Mexican food and the Mexicans here are from the Baja...but I have been to the Baja numerous times and have thoroughly enjoyed the food there so that can't be it.
3 comments:
Sorry about the crummy Mexican food. Thanks again for having us. It was wonderful to go the the Temple with you, and just be there for the weekend. Take care, love Mom and Dad Diehl
It's even harder finding good Mexican food in Missouri and Georgia.
We've had some bad food. You have to get reliable recommendations, before wasting your money and offending your taste buds. You'll find someplace. Keep asking around. Ask people from the Spanish ward.
I was sooo happy to see you that weekend!!! And by the way our trip to the Mexican food restaurant was one of the highlights for me. All our anticipation for yummy food was let down so fast. The drama of it all reminded me of the old days in a funny weird way.
Post a Comment