About Us

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Non-Traditional Traditional Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving this year we were planning to go up to Utah for my Grandma Ellsworth's 90th birthday celebration but Cody had too much to do to take off for the long weekend. We decided to stay here and just celebrate Thanksgiving our own way-- doing homework, watching movies, going to Sea World and eating ribs and doing lots and lots of homework. I was pretty bummed I would not be able to go and see family. To make it up to ourselves we went to Sea World. It was great! There were not very many people and we leisurely walked around the lovely park while our ribs cooked in the crock pot at home. After Sea World we came home and had a somewhat traditional Thanksgiving meal (except for the fact that there was no Turkey). We made mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, green beans, pumpkin pie and BBQ ribs. We enjoyed it even though it was really weird not being surrounded by family. I think that if I had not served a mission this would have been the end of the world because I have always spent Thanksgiving with tons of family. On my mission I realized that my birthday, Christmas and Thanksgiving and all the other holidays were really just days on the calendar and that if I didn't open a present or eat a turkey the world would not end, the sun would still rise and set. It is nice to have a day to remember to give thanks and to remember Christ but shouldn't we really do that every day. Amen. The best part about holidays is being with friends and family--the people you love. And Cody and I had a great time together.

The poster boy for Sea World... his name is not really Shamu, sorry to burst your bubble, I think it is Corky.

The penguins.

Cody's favorite part of Sea World. The turtles. Just for the record, I liked turtles way before 'Finding Nemo' personified them as gnarly surfer dudes. I think they're just cool.
The beluga whales. "They call me Ishmael."
My favorite part. The big and beautiful Clydesdale. Wow! Okay this part deserves a story. Ever since we decided we weren't going to Salt Lake for Thanksgiving we have been talking about going to Sea World on Thanksgiving day. We were excited and there had been quite a build up for this little outing. After walking through the gates, guess what the first thing Emilee wanted to go see? ...Shamu?...the penguins? ...the acrobatic dolphins? Nope! She wanted to go see the Budweiser horses. I couldn't believe it. This wife of mine truly does come from a horse family.
Mom Diehl sent us an early Christmas present. When Cody was removing the paper I saw "Willow Tree" and started to jump up and down in my seat hoping it really was what I thought it was. She gave us this beautiful nativity set (which was what Emilee was hoping it was). I love it and oooed and awed over it for a while. This is our first nativity set. Thank you Mom and Dad Diehl!!!!

P.S. The first song on the playlist is kind of a joke for any of you who spent Christmas with Dad and Ted last year. Wow! I have never listened to a song more or at that many decibels in my life. It is a beautiful song but listening to it Ted and Dad style was...wow.

10 comments:

Erin said...

I'm glad you made it to Sea World. Sorry you were too busy to go visit family. That's hard but at least you still had a good time. I think mom and dad did an awesome job of getting us something that at least all the girls really wanted! I liked the picture of Emilee's belly. Good luck finishing up the semester!

jjediehl said...

I'm sure as time goes by you will look back and remember your Thanksgiving together with fondness (minus the homework of course). But, just for the record you were missed. We're glad you had a fun time at Sea World, it is a great place. I agree with Emilee those horses are beautiful. Cody has always had a fasination with turtles. I lost count on how many turtles he found and "released" at the fish hatchery. It took alot of fast talking on my part to convince him to let them go home to their families. We're glad you like the Nativity set. Good luck finishing up the semester. Looking forward to see you soon. Love Mom Diehl.

ALYN said...

You can thank me and Kori for requesting the nativity gift! : ) Although apparently, we were the last to open ours, since we were waiting for December 1st. But when I spoke to Mom on Saturday, she said everyone had opened theirs already.

We thought it would be something lots of us would really love, and if we want, she can add to it over the years. It's kind of a really nice family treasure!

Lia's already been playing with them.

Tiffany said...

That still sounds like a super fun Thanksgiving. And I am super jealous of your nativity set! That has been on my Christmas list for quite some time!

Marti said...

MY real regret about your Thanksgiving is that Sea World doesn't give free guest passes when you get the yearly passes... and I wanted to see you guys, of course.

Only Ellsworth in Miami said...

Amen to the music selection and welcome to the non-traditional Thanksgiving club.

I am not a huge music buff, but I like Christmas music. Patricia's who loves music was so happy to see me interested in music for once, but after I played O Holy Night (Josh Groban) 50 times, I think she is ready to go crazy.

Kori said...

I never thought about the mission making you realize that birthdays/holidays are just another day on the calendar. Maybe that's why I don't get too sentimental over them. I'll have to concur that Cody has always liked turtles. He always had one in a metal tub someone outside. Tell Cody you need a back rub every day for the last trimester, its a requirement to become a Daddy.

jjediehl said...

Only Ellsworth in Miami is right Josh Groban "O Holy Night" is the BEST. Fifty times is fine, just getting warmed up right.

Richard and Chelsey said...

We were so bummed that we couldn't go to Utah either. I was so tempted after having Camilla to go but she was just too young. I love your little belly. Are you guys going to be coming over for Pat's sealing. My mom and I will be there and then I am pretty sure that we will go to Yuma too. We spent Thanksgiving with Richard's family which is much smaller that ours and it was different not being surrounded by tons of family. I just remember Thanksgiving from when we were little and it was an all day event of eating and playing games outside. But I guess that time is up and now we get to make those memories for our kids.

Nielsen Family said...

Emilee! I still can't believe you are pregnant! You look so happy! I'm happy for you and Cody! Are you having a boy or girl? That's so cool that you went to Sea World on Thanksgiving. Scott and I and all my siblings and parents and all the grandkids went to Sea World on December 27th and it was totally packed!!!! Maybe we'll go next year on Thanksgiving.