About Us

Friday, September 11, 2009

Safford


Last weekend we went to Safford, Arizona for my Grandma Ellsworth's funeral. A couple of weeks ago she passed away peacefully at the age of 90. She lived a good full life and influenced many. She is one of those people you never forget. She had a vibrant testimony of Jesus Christ that made her the wonderful woman she was and is. When she was pregnant with her 10th child, she lost her husband and eternal companion in a tragic accident. Now that I am married and a mother I finally comprehend a tiny bit better what she must have felt and how hard that must have been. During her funeral I had many thoughts and impressions I will never forget. While listening to her daughter Linda give a tribute to her life, I felt a deep admiration for her courage and strength to get out of bed each morning and continue on. She chose to be happy and to pull practical jokes on her kids to make them laugh and make herself laugh instead of becoming sinister and hateful like I probably would have done. She used to make treats for her kids and their friends but she put cotton balls in the cupcakes, salt instead of sugar in the cookies and dipped squares of soap in chocolate and mixed these in with the real desserts; you never knew what you'd get. She had quite the sense of humor even up to the last hours of her mortal life. Right before she passed the doctor asked her if she could make a fist and in response she made a fist and shook it in his face. She was a righteous woman who endured to the end; in her 90th year she served as an achievement days leader in her ward and she fulfilled her responsibilities as their leader until her passing. The knowledge of the plan of happiness gives us peace in times of loss because we know she is not gone forever. I know I will see her again someday and that until then she is happy and with her dear Reed.

All 10 of her children, 52 of her 55 grandchildren and who knows how many of her 108 great-grandchildren attended her funeral. Needless to say there were hundreds of us gathered together to celebrate the life of a wonderful woman. We had a great time, talking and playing. There was, of course, carne asada, homemade salsa, and jello salads and lots of swimming.
At the luncheon. Eliza, Trent (Janae), Camilla (Chelsey). I have two other cousins my age that also have babies Eliza's age. Eliza was laughing so hard at all the kids, she just loved them.

Uncle Harold trying to get a reaction out of Eliza.

Emilee, Becky, Julie
Grandpa and Eliza chatting.

Uncle Joe reading palms and making the kids laugh.

Wow. My dad is quite stylish. The pool was irresistible.

6 comments:

npk_techguy said...

Sure, rub it in. Who were the three? Pat, me and ?? Somebody on a mission probably, giving them a good excuse.

Kori said...

Kindof funny how funerals are like family reunions.

Janny said...

Thank you for sharing about your grandma.

Erin said...

It was nice to hear about your grandma. You always miss them but it's nice when they've lived a good long life first. The pictures of Eliza are so fun! I love the smile and open mouth. Your dad's fahsion reminds me our our dad. He would always wear his boots to go swimming at the pond too. It's like they've never heard of sandals!

jjediehl said...

Thanks for sharing those great thoughts about your grandma. She sounds wonderful. Ditto to Erin's comments. I thought only John wore boots with his swimming attire. I love the pictures. Love, Mom Diehl

Brianna Tuckett said...

I LOVE the pic of your Dad! Why does that not suprise me :) It totally looks like something my dad would do too, except with crocs (those seem to be his favorite nowadays). Love the pics :)