Monday, August 31, 2009
A Day at the Races
Last Saturday we spent the day at the Del Mar race track. I had been wanting to go ever since we moved here so I was very excited. A love and appreciation for horses seems to run in my blood. My grandfather along with his brothers and friend raced thoroughbreds in California in the 50's and 60's. They were cowboys straight from the ranch with chaps, spurs and cowboy hats. They were horsemen not gamblers or businessmen trying to strike it rich. They had a passion for horses. Their eye for speed and agility in a thoroughbred brought them much success and together in true western style they beat all odds and won the East's beloved Kentucky Derby with Swaps in 1955. Swaps was an amazing horse that set new track and world records and was honored as horse of the year in 1956. He was a descendant of the great Man O' War and triple crown winner War Admiral. Ever since I was a little girl I have been hearing stories of my grandpa and the amazing Swaps so while at the track I found myself imagining a couple of cowhands amidst the white suits and silk ties leading their pride and joy onto the track and then watching anxiously from the side as he sprinted ahead of the rest. I could just see them smiling broadly and patting Swaps happily as they sprayed him off with a hose and gave him his victory bucket of oats. I wish I could have been there!
Walking to the starting gate.
Loading into the starting gate one by one.
We watched the big race of the day, the Del Mar Mile, from the infield. This was our first time at the races so we learned a lot for next time. It was a very hot day!
Ferneley winning the Del Mar Mile.
Fellow horse enthusiasts. I think we were the only ones there to watch the horses and not to gamble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That sound way fun!! Didn't you guys have a picture or drawing of Swaps hanging in your house? It seems like I remember seeing that. Wasn't he a big sorrel horse? Anyway, I'm glad you got to see live horse racing! How exciting!!!
Eliza looks pretty happy to be there too. Emilee, you need to meet my cousin Mella Smith she lives in Strawberry and she is a horsewoman. As children we had a little disagreement once, because she told me "she knew everything there was to know about horses" I told her "that wasn't possible." Anyway she probably doesn't even remember it. Any horse riding I did as a child was because of her. I'm sure you'd enjoy meeting her and seeing her horses. Thanks for sharing the story of "Swaps" I'm glad you could go to the races. Love Mom Diehl
Man it does look hot! Eliza is panting! Glad you got to do something you've been wanting to do.
Hey, where did Eliza go?
Post a Comment