About Us

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Vacay in Zion

On Sunday we drove to Zion's and it was a long but pretty drive.  We got to see rain clouds looming over the dry desert and then heavy rainfall pouring from the same clouds only moments later.  We climbed up the Colorado plateau and passed right by the Grand Canyon.  Arizona is a beautiful state.  We finally made it to the steep red cliffs of Zion's by late afternoon.

We camped in Zion National Park.  In a tent.  With a baby.  While pregnant.  In 95+ heat.  And I lived to tell the tale.  It was not that bad...I like to exaggerate.  We got to our site, set up camp, and made dinner right away.  We made potato soup from a mix in a bag and some biscuits from bisquick mix.  Cody was amazed at our fine fare and I was happy it all turned out.  With full tummies we all went to bed.  Eliza laid down in her pack n' play, whined a little but then fell fast asleep and we did not hear a peep from her until the next morning.  It was dreadfully hot at first but it cooled down to the 60s and was very pleasant.  I did not sleep too well but I wasn't really expecting much.

As an afterthought we snapped this picture of our campsite, after we had packed everything up...

The next morning we ate breakfast, packed up and got on a tour bus to see the rest of the park. 


We ended up on an easy trail to the Narrows.  We mosied down the trail and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.  We couldn't find our baby carrier and we opted not to bring the junky umbrella stroller so Cody carried Eliza the whole way, well, I guess she walked a few yards.  It was beautiful.





After lunch we contemplated trying to get a first-come, first-serve campsite at a different campground but it was about 100 degrees out and the air conditioner in the car and the asphalt moving rapidly beneath our tires made the 6 hr trip to Pleasant Grove where a shower and bed were waiting for us very desirable.

We got to Pleasant Grove that evening and stayed at cousin Joe's.  Pat and Patricia were already there and Dad and Rosie came the next morning.  Before going to our family reunion, we spent a few hours in Salt Lake seeing the sights.  

Next up....Family Reunion 2010!!

6 comments:

ALYN said...

nice pictures! We're glad we got to see you.

Janny said...

It looks like a fun vacation! Eliza is growing up!

Kori said...

You are the woman Emilee! We went to Zions two years ago on the way home from Utah with just Spencer and stayed in the Days Inn in Hurricane. I wasn't even pregnant. You are amazing!

Erin said...

After the last Diehl campout Matt is terrified to take a kid camping. I think our kids really will be 18 like my mom always threatened to do with me. It looks beautiful and I'm very impressed at your cooking and bravery. Sounds like it paid off and Eliza was great. What a good kid!

Duckie said...

Thanks for posting pictures and stories. I was hoping for the bathtub pictures. ;) Tee hee. It was so fun having you and your family here. And, I'm glad the rest of the trip went well.

Brianna Tuckett said...

Sounds like a fun trip!! Kudos to you Emilee for surviving camping!! Good job ;)