About Us

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bittersweet

We spent Labor Day weekend in Yuma in the house that I grew up in.  We helped my dad sort through 20 years of stuff so that he could sell it.  It is time for him to move on and start a new phase of his life.  It is hard, though, to leave a place so comfortable and full of so many memories.  I found myself becoming very emotional leaving that house and that neighborhood where I ran and played as a child, learned to drive, and had many family gatherings.  A home is a safe haven, a place of comfort and solace, a place we run to and that house in Yuma was always that place for me.   I will miss going there.   But I will always return to Yuma to make sure there are flowers at my mom's resting place. 

It was a bittersweet weekend.  Monday evening we rewarded our weekend of hard work with Texas Roadhouse, yum, yum!


5 comments:

Kori said...

Love the glasses! We love the Roadhouse, it's one of our favorite places to eat. The rolls and cinnamon butter are awesome!

Erin said...

I think we have a lot in common. You expressed the bittersweet feeling very well. I cried when my parents told me they were leaving our fish hatchery house. Eliza looks older just since I saw her last. I can't wait to see you guys again but who knows when that will be with all these little babies.

Brianna Tuckett said...

That is very bittersweet! I felt that way when my parents moved, but luckily Tim got to keep our old house. There are a lot of good memories in your house and that neighborhood. I'm glad your Dad is able to move on and be happy.

Alyssa said...

I know how you feel, when I was at BYU-I my parents moved out of the house I grew up in and I came home to a totally new house! Mike saw your dad last week and he said he looked so happy and excited about all the new changes in his life right now. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well! It isn't well for man to be alone! :-) Love and miss ya girl!

Jarom said...

I didn't realize how much I would miss it until I read your post... a lot of memories. The song The House That Built Me by Miranda Lambert is especially poignant.