About Us

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First haircut

I gave Eliza her first haircut today.  I think it turned out cute.  I just took a little off the back where her mullet was getting a little out of control.  You may not be able to tell but I took off a good 2 inches.

Before...

After...

I have also been meaning to record some things she has started doing and saying lately.   This next part is going to be all about Eliza so I have it recorded somewhere.  If you hate reading brag posts about kids and how their parents think they are amazing, adorable and perfect in every way, stop reading now!

In the last couple of weeks she has started waving and saying "hi" and "bye" which is so cute to us and such a relief because now instead of just staring awkwardly at children and adults she says hi and waves.  So friendly!  She also says temple whenever we drive by it or sees a picture.  Other words she says consistently: kitty-cat (referring to everything furry and huggable, even lions), no, teddy, ma, da, da (for bath and exuberant yelling), up, go, balloon, ball, bird, toes, moo and a lot of serious sounding nonsense that I can't quite interpret yet.  She frequently approaches me with a concerned or happy look on her face and says several sentences in a language I don't understand and then waits for my response....many times I am speechless.  She is so smart it blows us away sometimes.  She came home from church one Sunday doing itsy-bitsy spider with her fingers but we did not know at the time that that was what she was doing.  She just kept putting her fingers and thumbs together and I finally got what she was trying to do.  I started to sing the song and she ran into her room and grabbed her book of nursery rhymes and turned to the itsy-bitsy spider page.  We were amazed that after just 2 Sundays in nursery she had already learned so much.  She also folds her arms for prayers very reverently for about 10 seconds and then wiggles one arm away to continue doing what she was doing and then folds them again at "Amen".  I can't help but open my eyes and laugh to myself a few times during the prayer.  Right now she only gives fish kisses and she still loves books more than us.  She imitates us all the time so we are starting to be more aware of what we do and say.  We are new to this whole parents-of-a-toddler thing so every day we learn something new and we think every little thing is HUGE.  I guess that is the fun part of the first child.

5 comments:

emily said...

love this - love you! what an amazing experience it must be to be a mom! :) good luck!

Brianna Tuckett said...

How fun!! I love when they start talking and communicating! They say the darndest things!! Her haircut looks great too Em! She is growing into a very beautiful little girl! :)

Kori said...

I love watching my kids learn and do new things. Everything seems to happen a lot quicker with the second one and it's not a novelty any more, so enjoy it with your first.

Denise and Ed said...

She is amazing...they all are, especially to their parents and grandparents.

jjediehl said...

Yes she is beautiful and brilliant!!!Love Grandma