About Us

Friday, July 6, 2012

Yosemite, Day 1

Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia.  Amazing.
 
5 minutes out of the car and faces were already covered in dirt.
 These kids were ecstatic to be out of the car.
 What was the first thing Coulson did?
 He picked up a rock and licked it.
 Like I said before....ecstatic to be out of the car!

The trail to the Grizzly Giant was only .8 mile....we decided to just walk with the kids since the stroller was buried under all of our stuff in the rooftop carrier.  Hiking with toddlers=playing in the dirt=not hiking at all.
 The Grizzly Giant:
 When I came around the bend and this beast came into view, it literally took my breath away.
 We thought the trees were awesome, the kids thought the dirt was awesome.
 This is the California Tunnel Tree. (above and below)
 Looking up at the California Tunnel Tree:
This was the only huge tree we could get close to.  Their trunks are massive and they are incredibly tall, not as tall as Redwoods but still taller than any tree I have ever seen.

 This boy is not a light-weight...my arms and back are still aching.

 The Bachelor and Three Graces.  Amazing.  Love how these 4 stand together.
 Here they are with Coulson in front for scale.

 Hugs and kisses all around!
 Coulson going in for a tender kiss.



Off to Glacier Point......
 View of Half Dome from Glacier Point

 Panoramic shot from Cody's Phone


 Trying to get Coulson to look at the Camera....

 The sun was really, really bright. 
 We finally got one.  


 Eliza loves to smile for the camera.  Too cute.

 Yosemite Valley and Half Dome.



After seeing these beautiful sights we went to our campsite, set up camp and went to bed.  Everyone (except for me) slept really well until 2:30am.  Coulson woke up and I gave him a flashlight which made him stop crying but he did not sleep restfully until I got him out of bed at 4:30 and put him in with Cody.  The poor thing was cold.  It got down to 50 at night and I wasn't prepared, everyone told me it would be hot.  Don't worry though, the next night we did cotton pajamas, 2 fleece pajamas, a hoodie and a fleece blanket and he slept like a rock the entire night.  And how do I know?  I didn't sleep a wink. ha!  I had one eye and one ear open keeping watch for bears or mountain lions, no joke.  I was exhausted.  I am not a very good camper.

3 comments:

ALYN said...

Beautiful scenery, so sorry about the lack of sleep though. How many nights did you camp?

Kori said...

Those trees are awesome! I would love to go there sometime.

Allison Mathews said...

Looks like a fun trip! My favorite part was the tree kissing and the fascination with dirt. Who says kids need exotic trips and toys to keep them entertained? :)