Christmas morning brought squeals of delight, pancakes, fruit snacks and toys, toys, toys! This year Eliza was very aware of things and I had an internal battle going on within myself as to whether I wanted to further the Santa myth or focus solely on the birth of Jesus. I felt so strongly that Christmas should be dedicated to remembering the birth of the Savior that I did not say anything about Santa until she asked. But Santa was not to be forgotten, she was fascinated and terrified of him. We saw him at the mall and at the Y and she stared but did not want to be within 10 feet of him. Even though I did or said nothing to propagate the myth, she clung to the idea that Santa would bring her presents. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about this. I had only emphasized Jesus and how the Wise Men brought presents to Jesus and that Jesus was a gift to us from our Heavenly Father and that is why we give gifts. But she focused on Santa. Then I watched a documentary called Becoming Santa and it made me love Santa. He is a symbol of Christ in that he is kind, giving, loves children, inspires us to do good, and spreads peace and joy. Santa is a good symbol and may have a part of our Christmas but I just don't know how I feel about lying to them, they believe every word I say and it feels deceptive to lead them on.
Christmas morning we went into their room and Eliza was sitting on her bed, she asked if Santa was in the house and we told her no. She then peeked out the door and then quickly ran to the bathroom. She had been holding it for a while because she was afraid of stumbling into Santa on her way to the bathroom. I kind of felt bad. Anyway, we will figure it out. They were just elated to see the presents under the tree and the stockings full of surprises.
I loved seeing their faces light up with each gift.
We had a great Christmas with lots of generous gifts from loved ones.
1 comment:
Sounds like you handled it well. We answer their questions honestly, or just ask what they think, rather than oversponsor things. I've found that they really enjoy pretending especially at ages 4, 5, 6. But as they get older, they figure out things. And that's how it should be.
Post a Comment