About Us

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My Dad!


(That should say November 24.)  Today is my dad's birthday.  He is a one-of-a-kind dad!  He strikes up a conversation with anyone and everyone and will talk your ear off if you let him and in the end you'll be his friend.  He is very kind and giving and finds a way to make things happen.  He likes peanut butter, applesauce, cinnamon and milk on his pancakes and on just about everything else.  He has a knack for hobbies and skills that makes him a jack of all trades.  He loves a good chile, carne asada, and lots of salsa.

In my teenage years of extreme self-consciousness, I used to bristle at his idiosyncrasies and shy away as he tried to photograph me at track and swim meets.   It wasn't until I moved away from home and went to college that I really started to appreciate his quirks and realized how unique and special he was.  It was then that I realized that most dads don't commute to a foreign country, delight in eating the hottest chile he can find or give everything he has for a cause he believes in.  He has an immense love for the Mexican (and Latin-American) people that started while he was on his mission in Mexico and continued to grow throughout his agricultural work.  I remember going to Mexico with him and feeling completely at ease even when we broke down on the side of the road.  Right now he is helping small Mayan farmers increase their yields so that Mexico can produce enough corn to sustain itself.

My love for him as a person has grown in ways I couldn't have imagined.  I watched him care for his beloved wife as she battled illness, spending hours at her bedside tending to her every need and want.  I saw him literally give himself to her, trying to take away her pain and suffering.  And I saw love glisten in her eyes as she whispered thank you.  His dedication to his wife and family has never waned even though thousands of miles often separated them.  Just last month he flew from the Yucatan to Yuma and then drove to LA to help one of his sons get one step closer to realizing his dream.  I think we take for granted his willingness to drop everything for his family.  Since my mom's passing the hardest thing has been watching my dad grieve.  I wish I could take it away and make everything alright again but I can't; that is the role of the Savior.  My dad is not perfect and that is why I love him so much.  He makes mistakes just like everyone else but he gives himself to what he believes in, heart and soul.  He is a good man and I am happy to call him Dad.  Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Jarom said...

Wow! Well written and well said. Gotta love Big Bry El Don Diego.

The Eagar Boones said...

That literally brought me to tears. Well done and thanks for doing it. I love my dad too.

Brianna Tuckett said...

Your Dad is AWESOME Emillee and I am grateful that my family and myself have been able to get to know him and your family better throughout the years. Happy Birthday Brother Ellsworth :)

jjediehl said...

Obviously, He is a wonderful Dad. Look at the fruit of his labors. His children and grandchildren. He has blessings that many only dream about. We're happy to have Emilee as part of our family too, and appreciate her family for their good examples of love and support. Happy late Birthday Bryan. Love, John and Jere Diehl