About Us

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

On Memorial Day we went to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery to pay our respects to the men and women of the military who have fought and sacrificed for the freedoms and peace we enjoy in this blessed nation.  In the past, Memorial Day has simply meant a day off to have a barbeque, go swimming, drink lemonade and shop sales...never anything to really remember those who have fought so that we could do such things.  This year it meant more to me.  In the last month we watched the PBS series called The War by Ken Burns and I am struck by the magnitude of WWII and how huge it really was.  I learned about it in school, studied dates and names for tests, but I never really understood how huge that war was and how many people died or were wounded and how difficult the whole thing was.  I think of all the other wars that have been fought, and it just fills my heart with gratitude for what they did so we could have our peaceful little barbeques on our day off.
 It is a beautiful and peaceful cemetery overlooking the San Diego Harbor.
 There was a sky-writer and Eliza was totally obsessed.  In the car she kept saying, "Circle in the sky!  In the clouds right there!  Circle in the sky!"  I was thinking she was crazy and just talking about nonsense until I actually looked up in the sky and saw that there really was a circle in the sky.


3 comments:

Brianna Tuckett said...

What a neat cemetery. You know Em I have really never paid much attention to Memorial Day either, but it is VERY awe-inspiring to think of the sacrifices made for us. Thank you for that reminder and the "circle in the sky" story is pretty cute :)

Kori said...

This past year I've learned a lot about WWII as well through reading mostly. We are blessed to have so many go before us that sacrificed so much.

Marti said...

Coulson looks adorable in the swing picture... not to detract from the thoughtfulness of this post, or anything... but he's so cute. He's got a Cody noggin.